Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

My AWFUL Interview Experience

I put on my helmet, gloves, and cleats, checked if the recorder is in my pocket, and hopped on my bike. I clipped the cleats onto the pedals, and began to peddle my way towards the interview twelve miles away. I biked fast, knowing that I only had forty-five minutes to get in the twelve miles, and hard work payed off. In a mere twenty minutes I had biked nearly eight miles. As I was waiting at a light, the sun shining on my face, my sweat dripping down onto the ground, I put my hand into my other pocket, and realized that I had forgotten to print out my Interview questions. I looked at the time. About thirty minutes left. If I went back right now, I would most definitely be late to the interview. I considered my options. Without the questions, I would look really stupid during the interview, like an unprepared little freshman thinking for five minutes every time I need a question. So I turned my bike around, and started speeding my way back. I have to admit, I did run some lights, but I thought, what the heck, I'm on a bike. After I reached home, I threw the bike onto the ground, and rushed into the house. I printed out the questions, folded it in half a couple of times, stuffed it into my pocket, and ran outside again. I quickly got on my bike, and began speeding my way through the wild traffic of Austin at 6 P.M. I looked at the time again, already time for the interview, and I still have ten miles to go. With a loud sigh, I pedaled as hard as I can and finally arrived at the interview location, thirty minutes late. It was a cafe, apparently a rather popular cafe. I scanned the crowd, trying to find Jay Bond, my interviewee, and finally found him sitting at a table. I rushed to him, and apologized for being late. Luckily, I had known him for a while because I had biked with him and his bike club for the past year, and he didn't display any anger or annoyance against my tardiness.
So we sat down, and started the interview. First, I just asked him about how long and since when the club has been in Austin, and after that, the words were just flowing out of his mouth. I barely had to ask any questions since he was answering all of them, and probably the only times I had to ask questions were follow-up questions that gave me more detail on specific subjects. Since I had biked with the club before, I had already known a lot of the background information of it, and was quick to understand everything Jay had to say. Although there were a lot of useful things he had said, there was also some things that were interesting, but just doesn't fit into my feature story. But overall interview went pretty smooth, and after that we just sat at the table discussing about other stuff.
As the conversation came to an end, I got up to shake his hand, thanked him for letting me interview him, and hopped on my bike again. As I started to climb up the hill leading to the road, I could feel my legs starting to ache. I decided to take my time biking bake to my house, taking that I had no other event planned. Forty-five minutes later, I dragged my tired body into my room, dropped onto the bed, and laid there... just... there.

Distance Biked : 24 (original) + 16 (extra :( ) = 40 miles.......
Interview : Successful!

-Brian

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds pretty interesting. For a little bit I thought you were going to say you had to go back, and then when you left the second time, you had forgot the recorder. That would have seemed too much like a movie though

    -Los Spurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you forgot your questions and then were 30 minutes late. You got pretty lucky he wasn't mad at you and wanted to talk a lot. It's nice when you interview someone that has a lot to say

    JRod

    ReplyDelete
  4. get that exercise. Just don't break your knees... that would be bad.

    Daniel C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, a lot of endurance, to get to the interview somewhat on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you forgot your questions, but I'm glad your interview subject was understanding! I'm impressed that you went all the way back for your questions -- that's dedication!

    ReplyDelete